About This Site
"Every loss and every love, every blessing from above,
Here I am, all added up, oh, it's all right here."
A friend said the song "All Right Here" by Sara Groves reminds him of me -- "of all women, really" -- because we tend to keep so many of our experiences right here in our hearts and minds. Indeed, I'm guilty as charged, and for many years now, some of what I'm keeping has been held in virtual storage on the world wide web.
On April 18, 2001, I opened this site at Geocities under the name Chez Anne; in September of 2002, I moved the site to its current location here at my (new, at the time) domain, www.rusted-crush.com. I renamed the site "eclectic" because that same friend applied that word to me, and I hope this collection reflects the range and eclectic-ness that my friend saw.
Layout #7 was first based on the lyrics, "It's been a hard year but I'm climbing out of the rubble," from another of Sara Groves' songs. For a placeholder in the draft layout, I used the excerpt above from "All Right Here," and it (eventually!) struck me that the latter is a closer fit with the site's titular theme. With the layout decided, I then overhauled the content to remove duplicates, to make better use of features at my other sites, and to give the material at this site more focus.
To paraphrase a quote, I feel that this layout is "more me, more eclectic"¹... and it should be, because this was the longest of any update: over three years in the making! Unable to devote all of my -- already limited -- free time to the makeover, I worked on it sporadically when I could. (I often brainstormed and scribbled notes during the lunch break at my job.) The prolonged effort allowed me to carefully consider each piece and its place in the overall presentation, and I consider the payoff to be that the site is the most cohesive and personally representative that it's ever been.
¹ "It's more me; it's more Deana!" Deana Carter, talking on CMT about her second(?) album
I dedicate this site to the folks who have stuck with me through the years and the changes highlighted in these "pages," and to you, the site visitor who ventures past the main index. ;)
- lyrics excerpt: "All Right Here" by Sara Groves, www.saragroves.com
- banner: Vintage Girly Stuff collage was found at www.f-covers.com and modified *heavily* for use here using Paint Shop Pro.
- style sheet: began with the w3school's HTML5 skeleton
- menu: CSS for the top left menu is a modified version of bible.org's collapsible sidebar.
- CSS, other: I did a lot of Google searches to update my previous website code for HTML5.
- fonts: menu, footer = Tahoma, Verdana, Segoe; body, other = Georgia, Times, Times New Roman
- #hashtags: Borrowed from social media, I've interjected a few for visual interest and to add details.
- The previous site layouts page includes credits for inspirations from years ago.
- Some of the top tens are modified versions of David Letterman's.
- Many thanks to my long-time pen-pal and kindred spirit Michele for letting me re-post snippets from our emails.
- Other sources should be cited where they are used. Most of the text -- and photos -- at this site are my originals. If you feel that your work has not been properly credited, please let me know. Per our disclaimer, no infringement intended.
More Site + Links
- Links generally appear like this, light text with a dark background. However, a few non-links do as well, because I liked the look.
- I designed this layout on a laptop screen and larger, but I attempted to set it to resize readably for smaller resolutions. (Feedback would be much appreciated: let me know what device you're using and whether you see a single column of text or random, Picasso-esque chunks.)
- Menus at the top and bottom of each page connect to the primary sections/submenus:
MAIN MENU - introduces each category and provides a welcome
ABOUT ME OVERVIEW - personal facts and minutiae, with subsections such as favorites, quirks, and "been there, done that"
BLOGGED - chronological archive of experiences and feelings
SAMPLER - articles, commentary, etc.
DIRECTORY - extensive selection of topics for both those looking for something specific and those who are open to suggestions
- Even more(!) site-related information can be found...
... in our Frequently Asked Questions
... in the rusted-crush.com F.A.Q.
... in the neloo.com F.A.Q.
... in the Quotations 101 F.A.Q.
... in our glossary and Who's Who
F O O T · N O T E D
- Navigate our site content from A to Z in the directory.